The Daily Monocle

Critical book reviews from a literary skeptic.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Wednesday Batch 1

Posted by J. P. Wickwire

So I just got back from my District 4-H speech competition. I managed to take first place, which was wonderful; I haven't taken first in a few years. I thought about just posting my speech today, but I think I'll save that until after the State competition. So you'll all have to wait a little longer to hear my opinion of the YA market today. (Hint: I boycott teen lit.)

Anyway....

On Wednesday, I've decided I'm going to post links to pertinant and/or cool things around the 'net. I'm always looking for links, so feel free to send a few my way. Do you have a blog? E-mail me and you might be featured!

Also, I need a better name for these posts than "The Wednesday Batch". Any suggestions?

1) While it isn't actually literature, it is based off of my favorite book in the series. The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer is finally available! It looks like it sticks fairly close to the original story (though I have to say, they didn't show anything about Eustace and the dragon in the trailer...), but I haven't read VotDT in a while. I'll let you judge for yourself. :D



2) Although it hasn't been updated in a while, Literally, A Web Log, is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. I encourage all those grammar police-type to go and check it out. I laughed like crazy while I read through; does that make me geeky? :p Probably.

3) Finally, something for all of the writers out there. You know when you're trying to get one of your characters to do something, and they won't listen, and end up breaking a rib? Or your stupid antagonist's brother suddenly decides he needs to be front-and-center, and to do so, disfigures himself in a fire? Yeah. I thought so. I always run into problems with rogue characters and their injuries (and I write fantasy/sci-fi. There are a lot of injuries). I was so pleased to find this wonderful resource for writing realistic injuries. I hope you all find it useful.

So those are my links for Wednesday. Hopefully you all enjoy them, and I'll be posting a review on Friday!

-J. P.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones